Skip to content ↓
Fox Hollies Special School

Fox Hollies Special School

Local Offer - SEND Information

Fox Hollies SEND Information and Local Offer

1) What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school make provision for? What type of provision does the school make and how do they know it works?

Fox Hollies is a school for students with severe learning difficulties (including autism) aged 11-19 years. We maintain small class sizes with a high ratio of teachers and teaching assistants who get to know our students really well as individuals and personalise the learning for them. We employ a range of communication approaches such as PECs, Makaton, symbols and communication aids to support our students’ communication needs.

2) How does the school identify and assess Special Educational Needs?

All of our students have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP). These are reviewed annually with parents and other professionals involved with the child. We can also call emergency annual review meetings at any other point during the year, where needs have significantly changed.  

3) How do the school know how much progress is being made by pupils with Special Educational Needs?

All students are baselined at the start of each academic year and targets in core areas are set and reviewed termly. Targets are also set in line with EHCP outcomes using our online 'Evidence for Learning' system and progress is monitored termly and celebrated weekly. Targeted interventions are put in place for students who we feel are making less than expected progress. Our targets are set in line with national expectations for pupils with SEND using Progression Guidance. Progress is shared with parents at annual review meetings and other informal meetings throughout the year. Parents are also able to arrange meetings at other times to discuss progress.

4) What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special Educational Needs access at School?

We offer dance and drama classes after school. We also offer residential opportunities throughout the students' time at Fox Hollies. Throughout the year students are also given opportunities to access activities within the local community.

5) Does the school have a Special Educational Needs Coordinator, if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?

As a special school do not have an official SENCO, but the Senior Leadership team can be contacted with any concerns or questions.

6) What training do the staff in the school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?

As part of the school’s Continuing Professional Development (CPD) cycle, staff are trained in areas of special needs and strategies to support students’ needs and developments. Through our school improvement plan and appraisal cycle we identify and plan for training needs and opportunities.

7) How does the school get more specialist help for pupils if they need it?

We work with a range of professionals such as the school nurse, speech and language therapist, occupational therapist, educational psychologist, Forward Thinking Birmingham and CAT (Communication Autism Team) and Children and Social Care to provide specialist help for our students.

8) How are parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

There are a range of opportunities, both formal and informal, for parents to come into school. These range from parents coffee mornings, Annual Review meetings to special events and parent workshops. Class teachers are happy to speak to parents regularly on the phone and all students have a home school book for communication.

9) How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

Where appropriate we gather students' views and encourage their participation in review meetings. We also seek opportunities to gather student voice in other areas of school life such as wellbeing and school improvement ideas. We have an active School Council.

10) If a parent or a child with SEND has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?

We always try to resolve things by working together. We encourage anyone with a concern to address it informally by contacting the School office or by raising it with their child’s class teacher, or department lead, in the first instance. We hope that they will either be able to resolve the concern, or they will be able to arrange to discuss it further at a mutually convenient time. If the complaint is more formal, then this should be referred to the Head Teacher and Chair of Governors. We have a complaints policy which is based on the Birmingham Local Authority model and is available in the ‘policies’ section on our website. Paper copies of this document are available on request.

11) How does the Governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs including support for their families?

We have a part-time Family Support Worker who help families with making applications for funding, respite, PIP, social care support and who supports families with meetings with professionals and general moral support.

We employ a Speech and Language Therapy assistant who works closely with our NHS Speech and Language Therapists to ensure that there is consistency in delivering communication approaches across school.

12) Who are the support services that can help parents with pupils who have special educational needs?

The Birmingham Special Educational Needs & Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) are available to help parents through the assessment process and can also help facilitate school visits and offer advice (0121 303 5004). SENAR are the department within the Local Authority who manage the assessment process, they can be contacted on (0121 303 1888). There are also parent support groups in Birmingham who offer support and guidance, several of these groups have parents of children with SEND who work with them. We can signpost to the appropriate organisation on request.

13) How does the school support pupils with SEND through Transition?

For those students joining us in year 7, we make every effort to visit them in their school prior to them starting with us and organise transition visits for them to meet their new teachers and peers. We have a transition morning for parents of new starters to share key information.

In terms of transition out of the school, we hold a transition event in the Spring term to which external colleges and providers are invited. All annual review meetings are held with an external Careers Advisor from year 12. Upon offer of a placement at college, we will support students with visits. We also support with transition into adult day centres and for families to access funding.

14) How can parents find the Birmingham LA Local Offer?

Birmingham’s Local offer can be found on the My Care in Birmingham website.


By clicking the link: